Please note Form GSTR 9 once filed cannot be revised. During the preparation of the GSTR 9 with the help of completed reconciliation, many issues have been raised by professional as well as taxpayers. In this respect we have compiled the issues with their possible solution with respect to filing of this Annual return which are being clarified as follows:
1. Particulars of the transactions for FY 2017-18 declared in returns between April 2018 to March 2019 shall be declared in Pt. V of FORM GSTR-9. Such particulars may contain details of amendments furnished in Table 10 and Table 11 of FORM GSTR-1.
2. Input tax credit on inward supplies shall be declared from April 2018 to March 2019 in Table 8C of FORM GSTR-9.
3. Information contained in FORM GSTR-2A as on 01.05.2019 shall be auto-populated in Table 8A of FORM GSTR-9.
4. It may be noted that irrespective of when the supply was declared in FORM GSTR-1, the principle of declaring a supply in Pt. II or Pt. V is essentially driven by when was tax paid through FORM GSTR-3B in respect of such supplies. If the tax on such supply was paid through FORM GSTR-3B between July 2017 to March 2018 then such supply shall be declared in Pt. II and if the tax was paid through FORM GSTR- 3B between April 2018 to March 2019 then such supply shall be declared in Pt. V of FORM GSTR-9.
5. A common problem have been reported by many professional as well as taxpayers that the figures of Input Tax Credit (ITC), as pre-populated in table 8A of FORM GSTR-9, do not match with the figures as appearing in their Form GSTR-2A. Please note that this may happen due to following reasons:
· Figures in GSTR-2A are auto populated based on filed/ saved / submitted Form GSTR-1 of the supplier taxpayer. But figures in table 8A of Form GSTR-9 are auto-populated only on the basis of filed Form GSTR-1 by the supplier taxpayer. In case, Form GSTR -1 is not filed by your supplier, then credit related to those invoices will not appear in table 8A of your Form GSTR-9.
· Figures in table 8A of Form GSTR 9 are auto populated only for those Form GSTR-1, which are filed by the supplier taxpayer by due date of its filing i.e. 30th April, 2019. Thus, ITC on supplies of the financial year 2017-18, if reported beyond 30th April, 2019, will not get auto-populated in table 8A of Form GSTR-9.
· In table 8A of Form GSTR-9, only latest values have been auto-populated based on filed Form GSTR-1, taking into account all the amendments made, if any. Suppose an invoice with taxable value of ₹ 200/- with tax of ₹ 36/- was filed in Form GSTR-1 in the month of January, 2018 and same was amended to ₹ 80 as taxable value in the month of March, 2018, then
§ the Form GSTR-2A of January, 2018 will show ITC of ₹ 36
§ the Form GSTR-2A of March, 2018 will show ITC of ₹ 14.4 &
§ the table 8A of Form GSTR-9 will contain ITC of ₹ 14.4.
· In table 8A of Form GSTR-9, ITC related to all such invoices have been excluded in which place of supply lies in supplier’s taxpayers State, instead of State of the receiver taxpayer. These figures will be shown in Form GSTR-2A of the recipient. For example if a taxpayer of State A visits State B and stays in a hotel in State B, the tax paid by him to the hotel in State B will appear in his Form GSTR-2A, but the same will not be reflected in table 8A of Form GSTR-9.
· The Figures in table 8A of Form GSTR-9 do not contain ITC for the period during which the recipient taxpayer was under composition scheme.
6. Any additional outward supply which was not declared by the registered person in FORM GSTR-1 and FORM GSTR-3B shall be declared in Pt.II of the FORM GSTR-9. Such additional liability shall be computed in Pt.IV and the gap between the “tax payable” and “Paid through cash” column of FORM GSTR-9 shall be paid through FORM DRC-03.
7. Many taxpayers have represented that Table 8 has no row to fill in credit of IGST paid at the time of import of goods but availed in the return of April 2018 to March 2019. Due to this, there are apprehensions that credit which was availed between April 2018 to March 2019 but not reported in the annual return may lapse. For this particular entry, taxpayers are advised to fill in their entire credit availed on import of goods from July 2017 to March 2019 in Table 6(E) of FORM GSTR-9 itself.
8. Many taxpayers have reported a mismatch between auto-populated data and the actual entry in their books of accounts or returns. One common challenge reported by taxpayer is in Table 4 of FORM GSTR-9 where details may have been missed in FORM GSTR-1 but tax was already paid in FORM GSTR-3B and therefore taxpayers see a mismatch between auto-populated data and data in FORM GSTR-3B. It may be noted that auto-population is a functionality provided to taxpayers for facilitation purposes, taxpayers shall report the data as per their books of account or returns filed during the financial year.
9. Payments made through FORM DRC-03 for any supplies relating to period between July 2017 to March 2018 will not be accounted for in FORM GSTR-9 but shall be reported during reconciliation in FORM GSTR-9C.
10. Form GSTR 9 ‘Proceed to File’ button will be enabled only if ‘Compute Liability’ is clicked. This button is meant for computation of late fees only. Please note FORM GSTR-9 once filed cannot be revised.